This was our formal living room. Although we did not use it as a formal living room. We used this space as our school room. Now this is our staging area. In this space I have 2 piles of stuff...the stuff that will sent via air and the stuff that will go on the boat. The air shipment is the stuff that we need immediately, like dishes, pans, sheets and towels. We are whisked from the airport and driven to a home that has been selected for us. It is a furnished home, but you still need your personal effects. The air shipment will arrive about a week after we do. Until our air shipment arrives we are given a courtesy box which will have 6 plates, 6 cups, 6 towels, sheets for each bed, you get the idea. Once we get our air shipment we return the courtesy pack.
This is our airship stuff. Towels, and sheets and all the goodies that will make the new house feel less like a hotel and more like where we live.
This is all stuff from my very expensive Costco run. These are the items that, although they have them where we will be living, are terribly expensive. So I try and stock up on the bare necessities. The paper plates will be saved for large social gatherings. The paper napkins as well. When we live overseas I use mostly cloth napkins, and save the paper for big events. Other items that will be hard to find are taco seasoning and Montreal Steak seasoning (I can't eat a steak or burger with out the good stuff).
This is a pile for the slow boat, but it is an important pile. These are the things that will make a house our home. The pretty stuff and the personal items. They are weighty but I will never move without having some of the lovely things that will make a house a sanctuary for my family.
This seems frivolous, but we have found that keeping the items you use during traditional events with you helps to make the transition easier. Especially during the holidays. I did not bring the whole set of dishes, but I did bring enough for a holiday open house. We have found that when we live overseas we tend to invite several other families over to celebrate. Thanksgiving is usually a biggie. We have shared Thanksgiving with 18 additional people in the past.
My family room. Bare. The walls are unadorned. The personality has been striped. This furniture, all of our furniture, will be put in storage for the next three years. The fun part will be when we return and we find all the pieces that we missed. Sometimes I will get a piece out of storage and think...why in the world? Ha! The fun of moves.
The count down is on. . . we have 7 days left in our house. Then we will take a little holiday and spend a week in Boston. Why Boston? We have never been there, so why not. After Boston we will spend a week in Germany visiting friends. And from there we go to our new home. Once we are set up (and yes, my Mac is in my airshipment - it helps me feel more adjusted) I will post an update.
For now...I wish you a blessed end of summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment